The History of AIESEC Latvia
AIESEC Latvia was established in 1994 and has celebrated its "sweet 16" birthday in 2010. Currently AIESEC is present in Latvia in 2 cities - Riga and Valmiera. Here is a little historical outlook on the journey of AIESEC Latvia:
1993 – the very beginning
- National Educational Seminar in Poland, where 6 Latvian University students took part.
- Iļja Kazancevs establishes contact with AIESEC in Sweden, but does not get support from students and entrepreneurs.
1994 – the foundation
- Established cooperation with AIESEC in Sweden
- Pauls Irbins participated in European member countries congress (EUROC’94) In Estonia.
- In the national seminar in Sweden Latvia was presented as a potential AIESEC member country.
- Foundation meeting. Established "Latvian Association of Economics students".
1995 – official status
- Latvia Assosiation of Econiomics students gets an official AIESEC status having a goal of meeting all criteria to become full status AIESEC member country.
- In SriLanka congress 10.04.1995. Latvia is approved to be AIESEC member country.
- First exchange participant arrives to Latvia. Student from Netherlands takes internship in a/s “Koblenz & Partneri”.
- National Training Seminar in Sigulda. Particpants from different countries: 150
1996 – Expanding! Expanding!
- 01.02.1996. Latvian University of Agriculture – established first initiative group.
- 05.02.1996. Initiative Group established in Daugavpils Pedagogical University.
- 09.04.1996. AIESEC Rīga gets the status of Local Committee in Latvia. The first Executive Board is elected.
- Initiative group established in Valmiera.
1997 – Summits and conference all around
- 30.02-1.03. „Reception Weekend” with AIESECers from Lithuania and Estionia. Getting to know Rīga and Latvia.
- April – May. AIESEC organizaes the first ever Career Days in Latvia. In Riga 21-27.04.
- Parallely forums in Daugavpils 28.-30.04. in Rēzekne 29.04. in Jelgava 5-6.05.
- 18-20.08.1997. Baltic Summit, first meeting of Baltic committees in order to establish closer cooperation.
- 23.-26.10.1997. National Leadership Development Seminar 97. Participants:120 from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and members of initiative group of Ventspils College.
1998 – developing international cooperation
- 20-22.04. Career Days in Riga, 28-29.04 in Jelgava, 5-6.05 in Daugavpils.
- 08-11.07. Daugavpils cooperational event with AIESEC Šaulai.
- 27.07.1997. 4 Latvian students go to Finland for internships: Raimonds Čerņenko, Juris Mols, Edvīns Ritovs, Romualds Stošāns.
2002 – Getting the big projects going
- September. NGO forum. Project „JaJaDra” (Jaunieties Jaunietim Draugs). Particiants: almost 600 students.
- December. Informative lecture „Production – future perspective in Latvia”. Participants: 60 students.
- March. Cycle of lectures. “SSASP”. 8 lectures. Participants: 450 students.
- Project "Youth Way" – AIESEC in Latvia organizes a commonwealth week with 5 countries representatives.
2005/2006 – the new and old beginnings
- Project “Youth Way 3” organized nationally with AIESEC Riga and Ventspils – 10 trainees visiting 60 schools around Latvia
- AIESEC Riga organizing Baltic conference “Energy 2005”
- AIESEC Latvia members present at CEEMOS 2006 in Poland (motivational seminar for new members) with 20 other nationalities
2007 – Baltic synergy
- AIESEC Ventspils organizing Baltic conference “Synergy” 2007
- Latvia is having first National Planning Conference
- AIESEC Riga organizes project based on exchange “Ethnical Diversity”
2008 – projects! projects!
- AIESEC Riga organizing projects “Lotus” 1 and 2, “Openflame”
- AIESEC Latvia organizing Outgoing Preparation Seminar for students who go abroad in December
- AIESEC Ventspils organizing first Outgoing Preparation Seminar
- AIESEC Vamiera organizing project based on exchange “Informal Age”
- In december 2008 AIESEC Latvia organizes Baltic conference "Energy 2008". The conference itself takes place in Hotel Riga, but there are also open sessions organized in LU EVF and a "Global Village" event in Galeria Centrs.
2009 – sustainable development